Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Treatment for Parkinson's Disease

Although there is as yet no cure for Parkinson’s Disease (PD), scientists are working hard and fast to look for better treatments to manage its symptoms. There is also a search for treatments that can slow the progression of the disease. Drug therapy to both manage the symptoms of PD, and slow the progression of the disease, remains the ‘Gold Standard’ treatment option for PD. Likewise, the same treatment options are also being offered to patients afflicted with Parkinson's disease even in the Philippines.

Drug Therapies

Levodopa increases the level of dopamine in the brain and thus relieves the movement problems of PD. Levodopa however has side effects. One of Levodopa’s common side effects is nausea so it is usually given with a second drug, carbidopa, that prevents nausea. The combination of Levodopa/Carbidopa effectively treats the symptoms of PD, allowing many people with PD to live relatively normal, active, and productive lives for many years.

Dopamine Agonists are a class of drugs that, like levodopa, increase dopamine activity in the brain. Commonly prescribed dopamine agonists include: bromocriptine (Parlodel), pergolide (Permax), pramiprexole (Mirapex), and ropinirole (Requip). They do not work as well as levodopa for the movement problems of PD but they may be able to slow progression of the disease.

Surgical Treatments

A small percentage of patients with PD do not benefit from drug therapies or suffer from severely disabling dyskinisia as a consequence of drug therapies. When the symptoms become severe surgical procedures may be an option. There are four types of surgical procedures for PD, Pallidotomy, Thalamotomy, Electrical Stimulation (Deep Brain Stimulation) and Neural Implants.

In pallidotomy the globus pallidus, is destroyed. The globus pallidus is targeted because it is a regulatory center for movement circuits of the brain. When the pallidotomy works, it can reduce rigidity and abnormal movements.

In thalamotomy, a small portion of the thalamus, is destroyed. The thalamus relays excitatory information to motor circuits. When the surgery works it can relieve severe tremors.

With Electrical Stimulation (Deep Brain Stimulation) various brain regions involved in motor regulation can be given an electrical stimulus which temporarily blocks activity in that part of the brain. Blocking that activity in turn has beneficial effects on other parts of the brain. Because the blocking is temporary, this procedure is reversible (in contrast to pallidotomoty or thalamotomy). Stimulation to the thalamus controls tremor. Stimulation to the globus pallidus treats balance and rigidity problems, but is generally not used specifically for tremor. The two most common sites for stimulation are the subthalamic nucleus and the globus pallidus.

Neural Implants involve placing tissue that can manufacture dopamine into selected regions of the brain. This treatment option is still very much in the experimental stage.

Physical Therapy

Because PD involves a variety of movement problems a physical therapist can devise a program of exercises that can relieve the patient's pain and maintain the muscle integrity.

Treatment of Non-Motor Behavioral Symptoms

Up to 80% of patients with PD experience depression. Depression in PD can be treated with most of the standard drugs used to treat depression in people without PD such as fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft), paroxetine (Paxil) and venlafaine (Effexor). Triavil and Asendin however should NOT be used by people with PD.
Rarely persons with PD will experience hallucinations. These are usually due to too high a dose of levodopa. These episodes can usually be handled by carefully reducing the levodopa dosage. If that does not help then anti-psychotic drug treatment will usually do the trick.

Sleep problems such as REM Behavior Disorder can be treated with clonazepam. Execessive daytime sleepiness can be treated with modafinil (Provigil).

The management options for PD patients encompass not just the alleviation of the physical signs and symptoms of the disease, but also the improvement of the quality of life and reduction of the potential side effects of whatever treatment modality to be adopted.

5 comments:


  1. I was diagnosed with Juvenile Parkinsonism at 16 after two years of doctor visits, tests and scary misdiagnoses. I remember being perfectly healthy, never even having had the flu until I was diagnosed. I was 47 at the time and was out to dinner with my family to celebrate after I got promoted at the office. While in the middle of a conversation with my mom, I passed out. About 30 seconds later I popped my head back up and continued like nothing had happened, while everyone looked like I was crazy. I lived with this all my life till someone told me about madida parkinson disease herbal formula. I place an order from their website at www . madidaherbalclinic .weebly .com, I was on madida herbal treatment for 9 weeks but I am 48 this year with no sign of Parkinson disease again. Madida PD herbal formula get rid of my PD.
    ......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings to the general public, I want to tell about how I was cured of
      HIV disease by a Doctor called Dr. voodoo . I was browsing the Internet
      searching for remedy on HIV and I saw a comment of people talking about how
      Doctor voodoo cured them. I was scared because I never believed in the
      Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i having no hope of
      been cured of HIV so I decided to contact him with his email that was
      listed on the comment voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com when I contacted
      him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that I took and
      it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem,
      my HIV result came out negative. I pray for you Dr. voodoo God will give
      you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being sincere
      and great men. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any
      problem Email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com
      or Add him up on WhatsAp +2348140120719

      Delete
  2. I am very much happy to share to every viewers that is reading this,I want to inform the whole public of how I got help for my herpes, I wanted this since 6 months ago, I have also taken treatment from some doctor,few weeks back I came on the net to see if I will be able to get any information as to cure my herpes, on my search I saw various testimony of people who was helped by a great man called Dr Akhigbe and without any hesitation, I contacted him, I wrote to him and and he guided me, I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for me and indeed 3 weeks after I started using the medicine, I was completely happy as it worked for me.I went to the hospital for check up and indeed I was declared negative from my disease, and I also waited again for two weeks and went back to another hospital for check up to be fully sure and to my great surprise I was still declared negative, and I decided to share this great opportunity to those people out there fighting this sickness, You can contact him now for your medicine to cure your diseases, contact his Email; drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or Whatsapp +2348142454860. website. hpps:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

    Dr Akhigbe also cure diseases like..
    HIV
    Herpes
    Cancer
    Chronic Disease
    Asthma
    Parkinson's disease
    External infection
    Als
    Nausea, Vomiting or Diarrhea
    Heart Disease
    Diabetes
    Kidney Disease
    Lupus
    Epilepsy
    Stroke
    Eczema
    Eating Disorder
    Back Pain. etc
    contact him for your solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello everyone I'm mike lanore from Georgia United States, I want to use this opportunity to thank this great doctor. Dr.banlogun HIV medicine is a good remedy for HIV
    I was a carrier of HIV and I saw a testimony on how Dr.banlogun cured HIV disease
    I decided to contact, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked him for
    solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now
    everything is fine, I'm cured by banlogun herbal medicine, I'm very thankful
    to Dr. Banlogun reach him
    drbanlogunsolutionhome33@gmail.com Or whatsapp him via +233202107295 Or call him +2349078871272
    DOCTOR banlogun CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-
    *HERPES virus
    *kidney
    *ASTHMA
    *DIABETES
    *EPILEPSY
    *CANCER
    *INFERTILITY
    *STAPHYLOCOCCUS.
    *ALS
    *HPV
    *HEPATITIS B
    He cure all diseases

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 46 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete