Tuesday, August 9, 2011

THE ROLE OF COMPLEMENTARY AND ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE IN PARKINSON'S DISEASE

Does complementary and alternative medicine play a role in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease? How do we define “Complementary Medicine”? What is “Alternative Medicine”? How does each of these two terms differ from the “Conventional Medicine” in the treatment of PD?

The study of medicine in the present times has evolved into an integrative approach which considers the need to stimulate the body’s natural healing process. It includes the use of conventional therapy as well as complementary and alternative medicine especially in those disease conditions with no cure or progressive in its course, including those that can be prevented or retarded.

Conventional medicine is defined as the “standard of care” for a particular condition, either because the treatment has been studied scientifically and found to be safe and effective, or because there is consensus that the treatment works.
On the other hand, complementary medicine refers to interventions used in conjunction with conventional medicine. One example of a complementary therapy is the use of acupuncture which now plays a role in pain management of some cancer patients in addition to the use of analgesics.

Whereas alternative medicine pertains to the use of practices that replaces those utilized in conventional medicine. An example is the use of a special diet to treat cancer in place of the use of conventional methods of intervention like surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy as recommended by a doctor.
In the treatment of Parkinson’s disease, “Conventional treatment” refers to the use of a pharmacological agent like Carbidopa/levodopa which has been extensively studied and is routinely used by physicians since it has been found to be efficacious. A “complementary therapy” is use of yoga in addition to the carbidopa/levodopa. An example of alternative therapy is use of herbal medicines instead of carbidopa/levodopa or another first-line medication.

What are the benefits of Complementary and Alternative Medicine?
One of the benefits in using CAM in PD would be the additional information a patient acquires as to the proper diet, exercise, and stress management in coping with his illness. CAM also addresses some of the secondary symptoms of PD such as constipation or fatigue which can be just as troubling, or even more troubling, than the motor symptoms. For some patients, it might also minimize the amount of medication they take in order to delay possible long-term side effects like dyskinesia (involuntary movements).

What are the different types of CAM?
A. Biologically Based Therapies
1. Orthomolecular and megavitamin therapy involve the adjustment of concentrations of molecules normally present in the body (e.g., vitamins, minerals, amino acids, hormones, and metabolic intermediates) for the prevention and treatment of disease. Coenzyme Q 10 and omega-3fatty acid-rich fish oils are examples of supplements in this category used by patients with PD.
2. Phytomedicine is often called herbal or botanical medicine and refers to the therapeutic ingestion of plants. This practice dates back at least 5000 years and has been used by all races, religions, and cultures throughout the world.

B. Energy Medicine
Reiki is a Japanese-derived healing modality in which a healing effect is induced by “life force” energy wherever the patient needs it most. The Reiki practitioner lightly applies hands on a clothed patient and channels healing energy as a general or localized treatment.
C. Manipulative and Body-Based Practices
1. Aromatherapy uses the aromatic oils of plants to improve and maintain well-being. More than three hundred different oils are produced from flowers, leaves, stems, and roots. The action of aromatherapy depends on the link between smell and memories. Massage and penetration of the oils into the body may also have a direct effect.
2. Electric stimulation involves the application of mild electric shocks to the skin. Chiropractors, massage therapists, and other practitioners of body work use this therapy to help relieve pain.
3. Massage therapy is a common therapeutic treatment where manual rubbing, stroking, tapping, and kneading the body (either a particular area or the whole body) is performed for the purpose of treating physical and emotional disorders, increasing blood flow, reducing pain, promoting relaxation, releasing muscle tension, and enhancing general health and well-being.

D. Mind-Body Medicine

1. Biofeedback involves the use of instrumentation to monitor, amplify, and report physiologic data for therapeutic purposes. The main objective of biofeedback is to change or regulate a physical process for better health, such as lowering one’s heart rate with controlled breathing and guided visualization.
2. Relaxation techniques can be helpful in reducing stress levels and include techniques such as progressive muscle relaxation and diaphragmatic breathing. More advanced techniques include hypnosis, guided imagery, and meditation.

E. Whole Medical Systems
1. Ayurveda is Sanskrit for “life knowledge,” and it is one of the oldest known systems of healing. Ayurveda approaches health as the balance of body, mind, emotion, and spirit. Treatments include yoga, meditation, purification regimens, dietary changes, and herbal remedies.
2. Oriental Medicine is an ancient system of diagnosis and treatment that corrects imbalances in Qi, or vital energy, with acupuncture, herbs, massage, nutrition, and movement. Acupuncture uses fine needles gently inserted at specific points along energy pathways of the body to encourage healing. Acupressure and low level laser acupuncture are non-invasive methods also aimed to balance one’s Qi.

3. Naturopathy is an alternative health system which emphasizes the body’s ability to heal itself. Therapies include the use of natural foods and supplements, massage, hydrotherapy, homeopathy, and exercise that supports self-healing. Practitioners of naturopathy generally prefer to use treatment approaches they consider the most natural and least invasive instead of using drugs or surgery.

How to Find the Right CAM Professional

As a general rule, it is prudent to avoid professionals who claim to provide a “cure” for Parkinson’s disease and be wary of those who charge exorbitant fees or ask for a big payment even before services are being offered or products are being delivered.  Every PD patient or his family or caregiver should also observe due diligence in verifying the authenticity, experience and expertise of the CAM professional especially those who advocate sudden withdrawal of prescription drugs for Parkinson’s without a thorough, accurate explanation. Despite the presence of information or studies on this drastic measure, it is best to consult with a neurologist or primary care physician for an opinion, or seek the advice of an integrative medicine physician.

How to Evaluate the Safety and Usefulness of CAM Therapies
A number of complementary and alternative modalities have been adopted by some PD patients and their families despite the absence of reliable studies or definitive proof like massage or Tai chi. However, the more invasive or experimental techniques or procedures should be supported by strong evidence before they are utilized.

It is to the best interest of every PD patient if a center can be put up which will fund research, provide grants to train researchers, and share its findings about CAM therapies with medical professionals and the public through information dissemination via lecture series, continuing medical education programs, and publication databases.

Alternative medicine that may be beneficial to a PD patient should also be evaluated for the possibility of doing more harm than good, especially with the “natural” means which does not always equate with “safe”.  Sometimes, it may take a considerable amount of time and effort before a CAM treatment can be found effective. The CAM therapies coupled with conventional medicine therapies should increase the potential benefits of both treatments. This should be discussed with the neurologist or primary care physician especially when using supplements or herbs since some can interfere with conventional drug treatments.
PD patients who are the most well-informed and have a balanced and realistic view of what conventional medications and alternative therapies can currently provide and who are aware of the limitations and side effects of such are those that are the most successful in coping with their illness. They usually treat CAM therapies with open-minded scepticism and accept that traditional medicines are sometimes necessary. Conventional therapies with CAM will help reduce or delay the effects of Parkinson’s and will arm the PD patient the tools necessary to combat his illness provided that they are properly guided by the medical professional.


REFERENCE:
Young Parkinson's Handbook
A Guide for Patients and Their Families

9 comments:

  1. Ayurvedic herbal treatment can bring about significant improvement in symptoms related to Parkinson's disease and can substantially improve the quality of life of elderly individuals affected with this condition. When my friend started having this issue she took help of this medicine : Zandopa It is highly effective and I would recommend it to all those who are suffering from this issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello I'm cambell by name, I'm giving a testimony about Dr.Emmanuel the great Herbalist, he has the cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my herpes disease, though I went through different website I saw different testimonies about different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: 'Many people have the herpes cure why are people still suffering from it?' I though of it, then I contact Dr. Emmanuel via email, I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it (CURE) and sent it to Airfreight Online Courier Service for delivery, he gave my details to the Courier Office, they told me that 3-5 days I will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by him and I went for check-up 2 weeks after finishing the medicine, I was tested herpes negative, if you are herpes positive do me a favor for you to contact him and I will try my possible best to make sure you get cured, when you contact him, make sure you tell him that I referenced you.. contact him via: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348140073965 or IG:@dremmanuel2..

      Delete
  2. (Must read)
    I am 64 years of age and was diagnosed with Parkinson's 3 years ago. I experienced shakiness and general reduction of control and tremor on my left hand. I took pramipexole dihydrochloride three times daily for 7 months. In 2016 I started on a herbal formula i purchased from NewLife Herbal Clinic, i read alot of positive reviews about their successful Parkinson's disease herbal treatment. Merely 3 weeks of the PD herbal formula usage my left hand tremor seized followed by other symptoms, i used the Parkinsons disease herbal formula for 8 weeks all my symptoms were reversed. (visit www. newlifeherbalclinic. weebly. com or email newlifeherbalclinic@ gmail. com). Final breakthrough for all suffering from Parkinsons disease... Coleman Sanchez

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am 56 year old who was diagnosed 4 years ago with Parkinson's. I had severe calf pain, muscle pain, slurred speech, frequent falls, loss of balance, difficulty in getting up from sitting position, i was having a problem accepting my diagnosis, even though I read every thing I could find to read. I was put on Sinemet 3 times daily but it doesn't seem to be helping. I also had difficulty writing. Getting in bed, turning over. i have had good luck with the Sinemet and other meds like Mirapex, but I was extremely tired of it. I have also noticed cognitive decline, but that is also related to a now-removed brain tumor.As the disease progressed all medication stopped working, i was introduced to Health herbal clinic in Johannesburg who have successful herbal treatment to Parkinson's disease. I spoke to few people who used the treatment here in USA and they all gave a positive response, so i immediately purchased the P.D herbal remedy and commenced usage, i used the herbal supplement for only 8 weeks, all symptoms were unbelievably reversed, herbs are truly gift from God. contact this herbal clinic via their email (healthherbalclinic @ gmail. com or visit www. healthherbalclinic. weebly. com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is 80 years and has been suffering from PD for the past 15 years. Lately he started hallucinating and I didn't know how to handle the situation. He cannot sleep and tried to find and catch the imaginary people who he thinks are real. he was taken Entacapone with Levodopa, Carbidopa, and Pramipexole and started physical therapy to strengthen muscles. nothing was really working to help his condition.I took him off the Siferol (with the doctor’s knowledge) and started him on parkinson’s herbal formula i ordered from Health Herbal Clinic, his symptoms totally declined over a 5 weeks use of the Parkinsons disease natural herbal formula.i read reviews from other previous patients who used the herbal formula, my husband is now active, he can now go about daily exercise!! his symptoms so much reduced that now I hardly notice them.Visit there website www. healthherbalclinic. net com or email Info@ healthherbalclinic. net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been casting spells for many years and I have helped many people, I might be able to help you too. I am honest, and I genuinely care for all the clients who choose me to cast a spell for them.


    If you have any questions about Love, Money, curse, protection, bad luck, divorce, court cases, or about me please call or email me. I really want you to feel comfortable before moving forward with any spells, or other services. I will take the time to explain things to you and provide you with honest advice, to what is best for your situation. I will not pressure you into having a spell cast, I will leave that decision up to you, and when or if you decide to move forward, I might be able to help you.
    I will respect your Privacy. I will not seek to obtain any of your personal information beyond what you might voluntarily offer and all information you might give me including emails, phone numbers and photos will remain private and confidential.
    I perform my Rituals only at night between the hours of 0.00 - 0.59 (South African time) lasting 1 hour but of course, this depends on the nature of the ritual, some rituals might take hours and can also become necessary to be performed at specials places like; flowing streams, cemeteries and other places dictated by the gods.
    I do not want anyone to be under any illusions about my spells and its numerous rituals. Real and effective Voodoo is no child's play, it is expensive because, after the rituals, I will have to destroy all the materials involved by fire and the ashes scattered over a flowing stream or river.
    You will get what you seek.But please understand this might take a lot of time and that individual results may vary. contact +27663492930, greatogudugu@gmail.com

    Herbal cure for Following DISEASES,this is not scam is 100% Real.

    -HPV
    -DIABETES
    -PENIS ENLARGEMENT AND WEAK ERECTION
    -VIRGINA PROBLEM
    -WHOOPING COUGH
    - HEPATITIS B
    -FORDYCE SPOT
    -COLD SORE
    -ALS
    -LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION
    -LOW SPERM COUNT
    -MRSA(METHICILLIN-RESISTANT STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS
    -ZIKA VIRUS
    -HIV
    -STROKE
    -IMPOTENCE
    -PILE
    -HYPERTENSION
    -LOW SPERM COUNT
    -MENOPAUSE DISEASE
    -ASTHMA
    -CANCER
    -BARENESS/INFERTILITY
    -PCOS
    -SHINGLES
    -VIRAL HEPATITIS/HEPATITIS B
    -FIBROID
    -ASTHMA
    -SICKLE CELL
    -TINNITUS
    -BARENESS/INFERTILITY
    -DIARRHEA and so on...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello I'm cambell by name, I'm giving a testimony about Dr.Emmanuel the great Herbalist, he has the cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my herpes disease, though I went through different website I saw different testimonies about different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: 'Many people have the herpes cure why are people still suffering from it?' I though of it, then I contact Dr. Emmanuel via email, I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it (CURE) and sent it to Airfreight Online Courier Service for delivery, he gave my details to the Courier Office, they told me that 3-5 days I will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by him and I went for check-up 2 weeks after finishing the medicine, I was tested herpes negative, if you are herpes positive do me a favor for you to contact him and I will try my possible best to make sure you get cured, when you contact him, make sure you tell him that I referenced you.. contact him via: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348140073965 or IG:@dremmanuel2.........

    ReplyDelete
  8. My symptoms started at the age of 47. My fingers on my left hand were stiff and were difficult to move. People noticed that my walk was not normal. I was often asked did I hurt.I noticed nothing different about my walk. It was difficult getting up from a chair and getting out of a car. I was diagnosed a year later, it was the onset of tremors starting in my right hand that caused my other symptoms to be recognized as Parkinson's.I am now 59. With the new herbal medicine i purchase from totalcureherbalfoundation.blogspot.com was my only way to get fast relief from this PD,their herbal supplement effectively reverse my Parkinson's disease condition and alleviate all my symptoms. 

    ReplyDelete